Dear GPS Foundation Supporter,
I hope this finds you doing well. I am touching base to give you an update on the GPS Foundation and the progress we have made in recent months. We are deeply grateful for the support you have given recently, and I am hoping that you will be able to support us again in 2018. Your support has brought joy and opportunity into kids’ lives!
Recently, I traveled to Haiti meeting with other soccer organizations and philanthropists with the hope of delivering life changing positive impact on the lives of thousands of young players with the most profound needs. We are pleased to report that GPS Haiti is coming soon!
See below some recent highlights on the work we have been doing and thank you again for the support you have provided to make these initiatives possible.
Malawi Children's Mission Partnership
This month GPS Foundation provided curriculum support, soccer equipment, malaria nets provided to the Malawi Children’s Mission to support a youth soccer program with more than 100 kids in orphanages in Malawi along with life saving malaria bed nets.
- Free clinic run in Haiti that served 150 players (boys and girls) along with 400 meals and equipment (new and used balls, cleats, shirts. Over 1,000 items distributed). We also ran a coaching education session.
- Fully funded travel and playing opportunities for 5 Haitian players to come to play with GPS teams in North America (week long visits with training and tournament).
- Fully funded month long visit for a Haitian coach for coaching education.
- Establishment of an International Volunteer Program which will involve an annual trip with GPS players, families and coaches to a developing nation to build a pitch and run a free clinic for local children. First trip in February 2019 to Kenya.
Education and Soccer and Inner City Initiatives
- Financial support to after school academic and soccer enrichment program with FIFA endorsement. Our support this year has funded the full participation of 3 children in Project Goal’s program.
- New partnership to support America Soccer Foundation to create playing opportunities and pathways to recent immigrant and underprivileged children in South Boston.
- Free clinics run in Dorchester (inner city) public schools (see video below)
Scholarships and Grants
- In 2018, the GPS Foundation Financial Aid Fund has provided grants to provide funding for hotel and travel costs for tournaments to dozens of GPS players with very significant financial needs.